loader image

Our Location

8286 E 41st St Tulsa, OK 74145

Call Us


First Steps After Your Car’s Break-in or Vandalism

If your car has been damaged or broken into, the first thing you should do is document the damage and submit a police complaint.

If you’ve added comprehensive coverage to your vehicle insurance policy, it will cover vandalism, but it will typically only pay for damages after you’ve paid your policy’s deductible.

Your comprehensive coverage will not cover any personal goods taken from your automobile. You’ll need to make a claim with your renters or homeowners insurance policy to get payment for such things.

Below, we’ll go through each step you need to do and explain how you may get paid via your auto insurance.

What to Do If Someone Burglarizes or Vandalizes Your Car

Before you can get your automobile fixed or make a claim, you must first analyze and document all damage to your vehicle so that you can respond appropriately. Contact the police to check whether an officer will be dispatched to inspect the incident, then proceed as follows:

Take pictures of the damage.

Before you wipe up any paint or broken glass, take pictures of all the damage to your automobile. This documentation may be necessary to submit a police complaint, and it may assist you in defending your insurance claim.

Make a List of Stolen Items

If someone has stolen anything from your vehicle, make a list of all the stolen items, including serial numbers and a description, so that you can file a claim with your renters or homeowners insurance policy. If you cannot find serial numbers, take a photo of the item with your camera phone. The more documentation you have on hand, the more likely you’ll receive full reimbursement from your insurance company.

Contact Your Auto Insurance Company

Contact your auto insurance company as soon as you can. Suppose you have comprehensive coverage included in your auto insurance policy. In that case, you’ll be able to file a claim for the damage caused to your car, and your insurance company may be able to pay for a rental car, in addition to covering any costs of repairs.

If you are the victim of vandalism, you may be able to receive the maximum amount of your auto insurance deductible back.

If you have liability-only coverage, it may cover the cost of repairs to your car, but you will have to pay your deductible first.

File a Police Report

The police will need to know about the vandalized or broken-into car to investigate the incident.

You can usually file the report by phone or online.

If no officers are dispatched to your location, you can still file a police report. However, it would be best if you took your camera phone with you if officers want to take photographs of the scene.

Bring your police report to the repair shop with you (you’ll also need to bring your insurance information, as well as a current registration and driver’s license).


If your vehicle is vandalized or broken into, do not clean up the scene or remove any evidence of the crime. Photograph the damage and list any stolen items before you remove them from the vehicle. In this way, you can get your car fixed, submit a police report, and make a claim for your vehicle through your auto insurance company in a timely fashion.

When you are ready to get your windshield fixed, make sure to contact Best Choice Auto glass! We strive to finish every windshield replacement in Tulsa on time and the budget the first time around. Contact us today!

Tulsa’s #1 Auto Glass Installation & Repair Company